Monday, September 27, 2010

Chips in Italy...

September 27:

Hello dearest friends! In my home town it is quite cold, but alas, I am far far away enjoying the warm breeze of northern Italy where I have come to keep my date with Borghese. This polish has eluded me for the longest time, mostly because I had not the income nor reason to condone the purchase of a drugstore for $8. While this lowly college student has no issue with paying the same amount for Essie or OPI, it seemed...well quite ludicrous to spend so much on something she wasn't even sure would whet her palette. However, whilst on a trip to the nearby Ulta, a store so glorious that it brings delight to all who enter, I happened upon this Borghese nail polish once more. This time, it happened to sport a smart red sticker which pronounced to the world that not only was it on clearance, but it was also B2GO!

Of course I took the bait and bought three bottles of Borghese products, feeling like this was a sure sign of good times to be had...to my dismay there were a few...chips along the way.

But before I get to that, I must speak of the official business! Like I said, I purchased three bottles of Borghese product, however, only two bottles were nail polish and one was a wonderful top coat (another story for another time). The first color that caught my attention is the one that you see here, painted (messily yet again) upon my nails and it goes by the name "Stellare Notte".

This picture is before I put on top coat, but after I had applied three coats of polish. Yes, to my dismay, this dark charcoal gray needed three coats. The formula was not as pigmented as I would have hoped, and the amazing blast of color that is given off by the bottle was lost somewhat as well. This was the most heartbreaking seeing as I had fallen in love with the duo-chrome! There were three visible colors, blue, purple and green, but upon the nail only the blue and purple showed up which meant most of the time my nail just looked charcoal.

The brush was in all honesty HUGE! It required one-two strokes at the most but left my cuticles painted as well. This size of brush works well for the top coat to get quick even coverage, but I did not like it as much when used for applying polish.

The dry time was fair, taking about four minutes in between each coat to start to feel dry to the touch. Then I waited a few minutes and applied top coat and drip dry drops.

After this manicure was completed, I let the polish cure before going to sleep. The next day I awoke with a large chip on my left middle finger. This was very disappointing seeing as I had not done anything that would induce chipping. Since this was a very special manicure, one that was painted for Mr. Nailventuress and my anniversary, I did a quick fix with a dab of polish and a spritz of hair spray before running off for morning classes.

The nail polish had worn when I returned later that evening, so off it came only to be replaced with a fresh manicure! Overall I was disappointed with this polish, but since I purchased it on clearance and I'm stuck with it...well I suppose I'll have to deal.

Oh! I'll just say that the top coat from Borghese works wonders for a manicure, so perhaps it was just this polish. Well seeing as I have one more to try out before I close the case on this brand, I wont complain about it anymore for now.

Next I have planned a trip to the plains of Revlon where I hope to enjoy the delights of an orange polish that is simply perfect for Autumn!

Until next time,
Happy Painting!

The Nailventuress

No comments:

Post a Comment