Thursday, September 23, 2010

Climbing the summit to reach O.P.I.'s Swiss Collection

September 23:

My sail across the seas to the mountains of O.P.I. went much quicker than I thought. The weather was fair for the most part, and I had a marvelous view of the mountains for most of the trip. The Trek up the steep slopes to reach the "Swiss collection" was another story.

However, when all was said and done, the trip was worth it. Out of the 12 colors that were to be found atop the slopes, three in particular caught my eye. Today I have for you pictures of the beautiful "Ski Teal We Drop." This dark more blue than green color stole my heart when I first saw it. It was something very different from any past nail polishes I have owned and to my surprise, it was a blue that I actually enjoyed. It took me longer than I would have guessed to get around to painting this on my fingers, seeing as the inflow of new polishes never seemed to end. However, this gave me a chance to try out another thing I picked up while in the land of Essie.

As you can see in the first picture, I, very sloppily, painted my nails with two coats of the polish. Yes, that is right, I said two coats. Any day that I find a polish that goes opaque in two coats is a day to celebrate.

The formula is a good consistency, it is not really too think, nor too thin, and it has a fairly good drying time as well. Though I think that Essie's drying time was much faster. The final finish is shiny, but once again, not as shiny as Essie.

One thing that is important to note is that the brush that O.P.I. uses is a lot larger than the brush Essie uses. Where it may take two or three strokes of the O.P.I. brush to coat the nail, it could take up to five for Essie.

As I waited for my nails to dry (I'm getting to the really fun part next) I read other accounts of nail polish adventures and pondered my own. With thirty minutes gone by, I decided it was time to apply the top coat I am simply matte about!

Essie's "Matte About You," went on my fingers, matting and drying almost as soon as I had moved onto the next nail. And this (second picture) was the final result. Smooth surface, matte finish. This one is definitely a keeper!

Just as another little side note, the reason why I waited thirty minutes before applying the matte top coat is because the last time I used it, I made the silly mistake of not waiting for my polish to dry and was faced with the horror that is air bubbles! Yes air bubbles! There must of been nearly 100 of them all over my precious manicure. Hence the waiting. Though I am sure that thirty minutes is entirely too long to wait and ten would have been just fine.

This manicure makes me feel like fall could be just around the corner, though this unbearable heat brings me back down to reality!

I think I feel like backtracking to the land of Essie to report of my lovely turquoise nails that went oh so wrong. Tis a sad tale, though one that is worth telling.

Until next time,
Happy Painting!

The Nailventuress

1 comment:

  1. You need an editor. "There must HAVE been"

    "Hence the waiting." is a fragment because it does not have a subject and a verb.

    "Tis a sad tale, though one that is worth telling." is a run-on sentence because before and after the comma are both a subject and a verb which means you need a comma + conjunction.

    "This dark more blue than green color stole my heart when I first saw it." needs commas after dark and after green.

    "It was something very different from any past nail polishes I have owned and to my surprise, it was a blue that I actually enjoyed." needs a comma after and because it is a run-on.

    "The formula is a good consistency, it is not really too think, nor too thin, and it has a fairly good drying time as well." Run on and spelling error.

    "Smooth surface, matte finish." Fragment.

    I couldn't help myself because I am in a grammar class.

    ReplyDelete