Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Rhinebeck Sweater?

Is it too early to start talking about the Rhinebeck Sweater? After all, it is only April and Rhinebeck is still 6 months away.  At the same time, it is April and Rhinebeck is 6 months away!

Last year I had the brilliant idea to knit a sweater for Rhinebeck 11 days before the festival.  Was it crazy? Yes, however, it was a bulky weight pattern that I had knit before.  In the end, I finished the knitting in the hotel room after we had set up the booth at Rhinebeck and brought the sweater to the lobby to seam up while my comrades tried to get some sleep.

This year, I have many options for my Rhinebeck Sweater.

1: I could knit a sweater with the sweater yarn I bought last year at Rhinebeck.  This option must be checked off the list already, since it has happened as of this past Sunday! Miss Babs Yowza knit up into a lovely Bedford.

2: I could attempt the spin/knit a sweater with the wool I purchased last year at MDSW or NHSW.  This was a loose goal of mine from last year but I never had time to process the fiber.  Last month, I sent out the fiber to get processed so all I'd have to do would be spin/knit the sweater before Rhinebeck.  Doable? I'm not sure.  I love a challenge but I'd need to step up my spinning time quite a bit to reach my goal.  On the other hand, this is the first year I think I can actively participate in the Tour de Fleece so maybe I'll attempt an insane amount of spinning for my project.

3: I could knit sweaters with my remaining stash of sweater yarn (DK or above).  I have 5 sweaters worth or yarn left.  The rest is fingering weight that may or may not be used for a shawl so it can pass under the radar for now.  This goal seems a bit more plausible that goal #2 for the following reasons.  a: I've started sweaters with 2/5 bundles of yarn so technically I am on my way to being 2/5ths of the way there.  b: All of the sweater bundles have been assigned to projects.  (The Dream in Color and O-Wool are already cast on and the Cascade, Verdant Gryphon and Shibui are waiting impatiently).  c: The sweater mentioned in goal #1 was so fabulous that I am back on a sweater kick.  d: I've been using our upcoming shows and festivals as motivation to finish projects (Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival was the goal for the Bedford!).

As you may have guessed by now, goal #3 is the most appealing out of the two applicable goals.  Perhaps, if I have an incredibly productive year (as I did in 2012 (12 sweaters in 2012)), I can meet all three of my goals.  Only time will tell.

I leave you with the sweater mentioned in goal #1 (and the boyfriend's Christmas sweater).




1 comment:

  1. Hi Melanie,
    Thank you for your visit...The family that bought our home also bought the kitchen appliances. She really wanted them and they gave us asking price of the home....so I left them.
    Your sweater is wonderful!! I need to knit a sweater...
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete